This page provides the latest news feed from NHS Choices. A wide range of news articles are available to keep you informed about various health related problems and the available treatments.
- NHS Choices 31st January 2018Health A-Z Symptoms, conditions, medicines, treatments and guides Find conditions and treatments Live well Articles, videos and tools from the NHS on more than 100 topics, including alcohol, diet, fitness, tiredness and weight loss, giving you and your family tips on healthy living. Visit healthy living information Common Health Questions A comprehensive lis […]
- Cancer treatment response may be affected by gut bacteria 3rd November 2017"Gut bacteria 'boost' cancer therapy," BBC News reports. The news comes from research into whether people with cancer might respond differently to cancer treatment depending on the bacteria in their gut. Researchers specifically looked at a type of cancer treatment called immunotherapy. This involves stimulating the immune system to attac […]
- Could a blood test in middle age predict dementia risk? 2nd November 2017"Tissue inflammation blood test points to dementia risk," is the headline in The Times. Researchers in the US say people who have higher measures of inflammation in middle age are likely to have less brain tissue in some parts of their brain in older age. The differences in brain volume, seen on MRI scans, were also accompanied by small differences […]
- Acid reflux drugs linked to increased stomach cancer risk 1st November 2017"A drug commonly used to treat acid reflux is linked to a more than doubled risk of developing stomach cancer," reports The Guardian. Researchers wanted to investigate whether there's a link between medicines known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and stomach cancer. Widely used PPIs include esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole […]
- Nutrient drink for Alzheimer's has disappointing result in trial 31st October 2017A new study investigating the effects of a nutrient drink for Alzheimer's disease has led to very different headlines in the media. While BBC News tells us the "Alzheimer's nutrient drink falters in clinical trial", the Daily Mirror reports the drink "could help stave off Alzheimer's disease, according to scientists". The t […]